Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday Newsletter 5/19/2011

Hi, Wonderful Parents of Amazing Fifth Graders!

We hope to see you at 2:30 tomorrow in the gym. We will be performing our musical. The kids have worked so hard and have shown continuous improvement. Please help us celebrate their success! For some, this experience has watered their talents and grown their enjoyment of the arts. For others, this experience has shown them that the arts are challenging and hard work. For all of them, it has made them appreciate the practice it takes to learn something well. For us, it is a chance to enjoy our children as they "try on" history as a character from the Westward Movement. I know they will never forget it! I will have a DVD of the performance for those of you who are not able to attend. I can loan it to you so that you can see your child's performance. (That is what I will be doing, too, with my kindergarteners performance...so I completely understand.)

This week, your student has been participating in the Spring MAP asessments. You will soon receive a report that shows the scores your student received in fall and in spring. These scores will be in three areas: reading, language arts, and math. Most students demonstrated nice growth and gains. This mirrors what you and I both have seen during this year. For a very few, there was not a demonstration of growth. This is the reason why we never rely on just one assessment to measure a students achievement. As you review these results with your student, please focus on the progress that you have seen. This testing situation can be stressful for the students. We want to be sure they understand that we look at the whole picture. Meanwhile, if you have questions or any concerns about the assessment, never hesitate to contact me to discuss them. I look forward to speaking to you about them.

Congratulations to Abby and Sabrina who were a part of a law day contest recently held by the Wisconsin State Bar Association. The team took first place. If I receive any more information on where you can view the video, I will be sure to pass it along. Both girls were given copies of their work. Congratulations! We are so PROUD!!

This just in...Family Fun Night! It will be held on Friday, June 3rd from 5:30-8:00 p.m. at Wirth Park Aquatic Center.
It is time for us to start putting together our classroom basket for Family Fun Night. This year our class has decided to make our Theme: Family Game Night. Please have your item(s) returned to the classroom by: Friday, May 28th.

Thanks so much for all you are doing to make the most of our final weeks together!
Cindy Stemper

No comments: